However Email is not a guaranteed form of communication!
Just because you send an email and it departs your inbox, it doesn't mean it is going to be delivered to the intended recipient. We are spending ages working for customers who want to make sure the email turns up.
But think about the pat the email takes, it may only take seconds or minutes, but it is a complex path.
- You type your email, and hit send
- it gets sent to your email server
- the server then checks where it has to go and sends it
- it wonders through the web to get to the recipients domain server.
- the recipients email server then checks who it is for, and sticks it in the correct mailbox
Now where could it go wrong? simply at every stage.
And something we have noticed recently even if the recipient receives the email, it doesn't mean they are going to get it all. We send out all out invoices as PDF's attached to an email.
All our emails are received but a couple of our regular customers either don't receive the PDF or they can't open the PDF. No reason why, but they can't and so for those customers we either have to resend it, separately from the accounts package, or stick the invoice in the post.
A lot of the issues are almost certainly down to packages to try to stop SPAM, finally I will leave you with one piece of advice.
If it is an important email, send it but follow it up with a phone call to make sure it has been received.